Porter Advising FAQs



Required Courses

Fall Non-Passing Grades


Taking Time Away From UCSC


Campus Resources



Questions about Enrollment:

Can I enroll in more than 19 units?

  • Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher can choose to enroll in up to 22 units beginning on the first day of instruction.
  • Students with a 2.49 or lower who wish to enroll in 20 units or more must email porteradviser@ucsc.edu and include their complete intended class schedule, the total number of units, justification as to why you need to take these courses now, and describe how you plan to manage your workload. 
  • Students with a 2.5 or higher who wish to enroll in more than 22 units must email porteradviser@ucsc.edu and include their complete intended class schedule, the total number of units, justification as to why you need to take these courses now, and describe how you plan to manage your workload. 

Can I change my schedule after the quarter begins?

  • The add/drop/swap deadline for Winter 2024 is Monday, January 29th. Students can drop classes until January 29 as long as they still have 12 units or more after the class is dropped. 
  • Class Permission Numbers are required to Add/Swap beginning on Thursday, January 18th.
  • You can find the Registrar’s Office’s FAQs for Students: Student Enrollment here.
  • If you have questions about dropping below full-time, please review the part-time program (see below) and/or meet with an advisor to discuss. 

Can I be a part-time student?

  • You can apply for the part-time program on the Registrar’s website if you have documentation verifying your eligibility. The deadline to apply for the part-time program is Monday, January 29th.

I need a third class, but I don’t know what to take. Help?

  • Here’s a list of Best Bets - Winter 2024 to check out for ideas. These are GEs, most of which don’t have prerequisites. 
  • Maybe you’re interested in adding a minor? You can take an introductory class in that department to see if it’s something you might want to pursue.

How do I find my enrollment date? 

  • Go to your MyUCSC Portal, click here for more info/details.

I have two enrollment appointments. How do I know which courses to enroll in during my first appointment? 

  • You should always prioritize major requirement courses and then build in other requirement-fulfilling courses (examples: GEs, courses for units, etc.)

I missed my first enrollment appointment time, what should I do? 

  • You may enroll any time between the start and end dates of your first-pass enrollment appointment period. 
  • You may enroll again during your second pass enrollment appointment period. You’ll notice that all second-pass enrollment dates end on the first day of instruction. 
  • Once the first day of instruction for the quarter starts, enrollment is open to all students until the add/drop/swap deadline, approximately three weeks into the quarter.

Questions about Waitlisting:

How do I waitlist for a class?

If I’m on the waitlist, should I add a backup?

  • Yes! We highly recommend adding a backup to your schedule, so that you are enrolled full-time. There is no guarantee that you will get off the waitlist, so it’s best to have a full schedule. Step-by-step how-to here.

How do I know when I’m off the waitlist?

  • Keep checking your enrollment on MyUCSC under My Class Schedule, and you’ll be able to see what number you are on the waitlist, or if you’ve been added to the class.


Should I participate in the course in case I get off the waitlist?

  • Yes! We recommend attending the first day of class and speaking to the professor before or after class regarding your waitlist position. 
  • If your class is taught Online, you can email the instructor for access to Canvas so you don’t fall behind. 

A class that I wanted closed during the first pass. Does that mean there’s no waitlist at all?

  • Not necessarily. There are times when a department may choose to gate enrollment in classes so spaces open up for a specific class level or during a second pass. If a class you want to take is closed during your first pass, you should sign up for a lower-priority class and try to enroll/waitlist in the class again during your second pass. You may also add yourself to up to 14 credits of waitlisted courses during your second enrollment pass.

Questions about Required Courses:

How do I know what G.E.'s I still need?

  • Your Degree Progress Report shows what G.E.s you have already satisfied, in-progress courses, and which you still need. 
  • Your Degree Progress Report is in the "My Academics" tile of your portal. 
  • GEs you still need will be marked with a red X. NOTE: Classes you are currently taking will be marked with a yellow diamond shape but will not count towards your overall units until grades are submitted.
  • If you are certain that you should have fulfilled some/all of your GEs via IGETC or AP/IB credits, please make sure the institution that you attended has sent your transcripts and/or IGETC certification. 

How can I see what G.E.'s will be satisfied by classes I'm taking now?

  • Your Degree Progress Report shows what G.E.s are in-progress. Classes you are currently taking will be marked with a yellow diamond shape but will not count towards your overall units until grades are submitted. 

Can I see a list of ALL the UCSC G.E.s and classes that satisfy them (not just for the Winter quarter)?

  • You can find that here.

How can I see which courses are recommended or required for my planned/proposed major?

  • Visit the General Catalog website and click on your major. 
  • Major qualification policies are listed under "Information and Policies."
  • Quarter-by-quarter sample plans are under "Requirements and Planners."

Questions about Fall Non-Passing Grades:

I have attempted a class twice, and I need to take it for a third time. What should I do?

  • You will need to appeal to take this class for a third time. Appeals are due by the first day of the winter quarter. We will not accept appeals submitted after 1/8/2024. Please schedule a meeting with Porter Advising and/or email us at porteradviser@ucsc.edu to receive the Double Repeat Petition link. 

Due to my grades from the fall, I am no longer in good academic standing. What should I do?

  • If you notice that your academic standing has changed, don’t panic. We will contact you with any information about your next steps, such as meeting with an advisor during the winter quarter. 
  • If you’ve already been contacted about the next steps, please follow those instructions.

Questions about Holds:

I have a College enrollment hold. What should I do?

Questions about Taking Time Away From UCSC:

Can I take a Leave of Absence?

  • The deadline to request an LOA for winter quarter and not be charged Winter 2024 tuition is the first day of instruction, Monday, January 8th.
  • If you are in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher), you are eligible to take a Leave of Absence (LOA). You can request an LOA by filling out the form linked at the bottom of this page

How can I withdraw from UCSC?

  • If you’re transferring out of UCSC, not in good academic standing or want to take time away for any other reason and aren't sure when you'll return, you can withdraw from the university by filling out the form linked at the bottom of this page

Please note, that your LOA/WD petition can take several weeks to process. Don’t worry, the effective date will be the date you submitted the form. It might take 4-6 weeks for you to be dropped from your Winter courses (if enrolled)

Questions about Forms:

I need a form signed by Porter Advising. What's the best way to get that to you?

  • Please verify that you have completely filled out the student portion of the form, and email the form to us at porteradviser@ucsc.edu. We will sign and return it to you as soon as possible.

Questions about Campus Resources:

Where do I go for mental health support?

  • CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) is open until December 21st. For drop-in, check out their Let’s Talk sessions (typically every day)
  • If CAPS is closed, telephone Crisis Assistance, by calling (831) 459-2628. You will be connected to a crisis counselor who can provide immediate consultation and support by phone.

Where do I go for career counseling/guidance?

  • The Career Success Center offers career coaching for students and alumni. They also hold career fairs and work with on-campus and off-campus partners and employers to set up recruitment events, on-campus info sessions, workshops, and more.

Where do I go for writing tutoring?

  • The Writing Center is available for students in-person and remotely! They have writing appointments where you can have a writing session with a tutor, or you can send your writing and get it back at the end of the day. 

Questions about Graduation:

What’s the difference between commencement and graduation?

  • Graduation is receiving your degree or diploma and commencement is a ceremony, where you walk across the stage. 
  • Applying to commencement is another process and you may receive an email once the Commencement Registration opens. I recommend referring to the Commencement Checklist for more information! 

How do I apply to graduate? 

  • Go to portal; then choose my academics; then click “Apply for Graduation” (submit application)

When is the deadline to graduate? 

Questions about Incompletes:

What is an Incomplete? 

  • You can request an Incomplete from your instructor if your work so far is passing and the quarter has not ended. It is up to the instructor’s discretion to grant an Incomplete. Undergraduates have up to one quarter to submit the final coursework to the instructor. 
  • If the coursework isn’t submitted by the deadline, the Incomplete grade lapses to an F or NP, depending on the grading option in effect. If the coursework is submitted by the deadline and the instructor has not entered the final grade, the Incomplete will automatically lapse to a non-passing grade. The instructor still has the ability to enter the final grade.

How can I request one? 

  • To request an incomplete grade, you must first contact the instructor to discuss if you’re eligible and create a plan to finish the incomplete by their set deadline. 
  • ***Make sure to coordinate with the instructor because you won’t have access to the coursework online like through Canvas ***